Monday, January 31, 2011


I was back on familiar ground - the hospital - this morning, thus, missing work begrudgingly today. This morning began the sixth day in which I was trying to tolerate intermittent abdominal pains hoping that they would soon disappear. I wasn't sure of the cause as I hadn't experienced any diarrhea, constipation, or fever. My appetite was fairly normal albeit I was more conscious of what I ate sensitive to the discomfort. Besides this nagging pain in my belly, I felt pretty well.

I contemplated going to the ER at about 9:30pm yesterday, but that would have upset my entire night. I might not have gotten out of there until 3 or 4am. Instead, I decided to try to get a decent night sleep (which had been difficult the past two days) and wait until the morning and if I still felt the same, I'd go to the ER. I woke up at 4:30. The pain was still intermittent. Even though I really didn't want to miss any work, because it would set back the curriculum just one more day on top of what had already been postponed due to last week's snow day.

I hopped into a cab arriving and registering in at Weill Cornell-New York Presbyterian Hospital (my former playground before switching to Sloan-Kettering) at 6am. I was out at about 11:40.

A CAT scan was administered by the ER staff, which found inflammation of the large intestine due most likely to a bacterial or viral infection. My other abdominal organs according to the scan as well as my CBC both were good. Colitis was the diagnosis. The continued suppression of my immune system by the Tacrolimus keeps me more susceptible to infection than the normal person.

In fact, my last memory of feeling well was before eating lunch at school last week. Ever since then, the pain persisted increasing in intensity during the week but coming to a head this weekend. However, who really knows what caused the problem?

Dr. CM and my medical team at Sloan-Kettering were informed of my status by NYPH's ER team with the understanding that I'm supposed to update him of my progress within the week.

I was prescribed two medications - Flagyl (1 tablet three times daily) and Cipro (1 tablet twice daily) - which I started today. Within three days, I should feel much better but I am supposed to continuing taking the medications for six more days thereafter.

I hope to feel well enough to return to work tomorrow.


Comment Blogger Neils Nodes said...

thinking of you, brother!!! wishing you well and hoping this is just a small blip in an ongoing inspiring life!!!
All the best for a speedy recovery!!!

9:07 PM  
Comment Blogger Duane said...

Thank you, Neils! :)

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home