Tuesday, February 10, 2009

feeling much better

After a few days of feeling quite ill, today is the first time that I've logged on to my computer since Friday.

I went out for Chinese food - something which I haven't eaten for sometime - on Friday evening and everything went down hill from there beginning the next morning. The vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain soon followed and continued throughout the weekend.

After some but not enough improvement on Monday morning, my mom and I went to Sloan to get it looked at. After labs and a few tests were taken just to make sure nothing else was going on (since I have no spleen), it was determined that most likely I had had a case of viral gastroenteritis.

Though I'm 17 months post-transplant, I still must be careful when eating out. Friday night was a reminder . . . a painful reminder. It is cool though to see how my (donor's) immune system, even though immunosuppressed, bounced back. Thank goodness!

I feel significantly better today though fatigued and weak. I probably lost a pound or two since I wasn't able to eat for a little over two days. Nevertheless, I still plan to attend tonight's lecture, The Harlem River Valley: Its Geohistory, at Morris-Jumel Mansion in Washington Heights. I've been looking forward to this talk for awhile.


Comment Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is going around nyc right now, Duane. my husband and half my friends have suffered this. it usually lasts three or four days. weirdly, my husband complained of serious leg cramps during his gastro hell as well. he was absolutely exhausted. he was really violently ill. just wanted to assure you...

when i was in graduate school at columbia, i lived at the corner of 159th and st nick. i remember the jumel mansion very fondly. have fun tonight! best, Dina

5:17 PM  
Comment Blogger Duane said...

Hey Dina,

Wow. Never heard about the leg cramps. Yeah, I know of a few people who have been taken down by this nasty virus this winter. This bugger is DEFINITELY NOT fun! Let's hope that's the last bit of drama we'll have in a long time. :)

I live no more than a 10 min car ride (w/ good traffic) from Morris-Jumel and tonight was my first time there. It had been my list for awhile, but just hadn't made it there. Now I have. :) Thanks for sharing your memories of the mansion atop the hill.

10:06 PM  
Comment Blogger Kelly Kane said...

Awww I'm sorry you got so sick! Soooo I had a dream the other night and you were in it! We were camping or something... and oddly you were carrying around a PC and monitor around on your back everywhere we went... random, I know :) Hope you enjoyed!


10:21 PM  
Comment Blogger Kevin said...

That bug is out here in jersey too. Sorry you got it, but glad the immune system is firing on all (well most) cylinders! I'm at 1mg of tacrolimus right now, so it sounds like we're at about the same place.

10:06 AM  
Comment Blogger laulausmamma said...

Sorry you were hit so hard by the nasty bug! Hope you made it to the event you wanted to get to on Tues night. You are a strong warrior my friend! Feel all better soon. ((HUGS))

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home