Thursday, August 02, 2007

more chemo seems likely

Dr. Castro-Malaspina called this morning at a little past 10. He confirmed what Kathleen, Sinda's colleague, told me yesterday. There's no new information about the donor. He expressed his wish that he could talk to him, but he confessed it's out of his control. Dr. Castro-Malaspina said he'd wait until tomorrow after which if there's no collection date scheduled, he'd prepare me for more treatments of the chemotherapy regimen GND (GVD) since it proved so successful. The plan is that while the donor is being prepped, I'll receive this regimen to keep the cancer at bay. They'll freeze his collection of stem cells and then, contact me telling me when I'll be admitted. By freezing the donor's stem cells, Sloan will have more flexibility in scheduling my treatment plan. It will no longer be bound by the donor.

Dr. Castro-Malaspina told me he would contact Dr. Moskowitz today informing him of my likely transferal to his care for the administration of the GND regimen. We spoke for about five minutes, so we didn't get very specific but I told him I'd call his office again on Monday for an update.

Today was my first time out since Sunday when I met Tony for brunch. Though I've been busy taking care of insurance matters, cleaning my room and organizing books (for which I really needed to do), and updating my blog these last several days, there has been more to it than that. In all bluntness, I've been in a bit of a rut. I guess I've been depressed somewhat since returning from the Adirondacks as I rushed to prepare for my expected admittance to the hospital. Last week was quite a stressful week for me that produced moments of considerable fatigue and irritation as I worked feverishly to send out the remaining letters to friends and family and complete the various Medicaid and SSI/SSD applications. At times I felt like there was no time to rest. It was such a reversal from the splendid scenery and enjoyment of the Adirondack mountains. Now I was back home and I had to deal with some matters that frankly I wish someone else could take care of.

After the postponement, I dealt with these important matters but I hid behind them too. I could have gone out and enjoyed myself a bit, but I chose to hide behind the paperwork and housework as cover. I watched more tv than necessary. I ate more than necessary. I failed to go to gym like usual. I avoided calling my therapist Dr. Roberts. I found myself in a rut with little motivation to go out. It was far easier to stay in. I even declined the invitations of Su and others to get together in favor of working at home because I didn't want to be bothered, but then yesterday she was diagnosed with strep throat which means that I won't be able to see her for several more days until she's well.

My cousin, Zaneta, was in town unexpectedly for today only so I met her for lunch. We ate at a wonderful Thai resturant on West Houston called Prem-On Thai. Had she not called letting me know that she was here, it's likely that I would have stayed inside as I had been doing especially considering how hot it was today. But I went out despite the heat and it was a very good break from the rut that I had developed.


Comment Blogger Sarah said...


My fingers are crossed that your donor is able to donate before another round of chemo is needed. No matter the outcome, though, you're in our thoughts.

Sarah (and Scott, too)

10:50 AM  
Comment Blogger Adrienne said...

Duane, I'm so sorry about the postponement and more chemo. Hopefully things will move along quickly now. Best wishes.

Alison (and Adrienne)

11:16 AM  
Comment Blogger Sanbandit said...

Hi Duane, I came across your blog from a comment you left on another blog on here. Just thought i'd drop by and say hi. I too have HD and am livin in NY (queens). Hope everythign works out with the donor.
Take care

9:33 PM  
Comment Blogger Duane said...

Thanks for all your comments. I may not need more chemo. If the donor started the injections this weekend as hoped, I may be okay because of the short time between now and my expected admission to Sloan.

9:52 AM  
Comment Blogger Duane said...

Thanks for all your comments.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home