Tuesday, May 22, 2007

need 3rd cycle postponed

This morning was my follow-up appointment with Dr. Portugal, the ENT specialist, at the hospital. My wait in the patient waiting area took a lot more time than the appointment itself. As I knew from appointment last week with Drs. Rosenbaum and van Besien, the cultures taken of my sinuses were negative. I have a light cough here and there, but otherwise that's it. He said to not worry about it. The cough should abate. The important thing is that there's no inflammation in my sinuses and the cultures were negative. So, that was that!

I also talked to Dr. Rosenbaum before class this afternoon about her communication with Drs. Moskowitz and Castro-Malaspina. She wasn't able to reach Dr. Moskowitz, because he was away but he should be back today. Dr. Castro-Malaspina said there's potentially a 6/6 (based on preliminary analysis) donor, but he/she won't be available for further testing until June. Ideally, it would be best for me to go to transplantation now, but because a good donor has not been found yet a third cycle is recommended. So, a third cycle it is! This is what I expected.

The third cycle is planned to start on Thursday, but this week is a busy one for me. I have two final papers due Friday morning and there's a significant bit of research still to do. I don't feel comfortable spending about 8 hours in clinic on Thursday when I have two papers due the following day. I don't know how productive I'll be in the clinic while receiving treatment. For graduates, grades must be submitted by Friday which is why I don't think I could get an extension on the papers. Therefore, for the benefit of my studies it would be best to have a postponement of treatment until the following week. The clinic will be closed on Monday, because of Memorial Day and I have my Arabic final exam on Friday, June 1st. So, any day in between will do.

I e-mailed Dr. Rosenbaum this evening reiterating my situation and asking if there can be a postponement.


Post a Comment

<< Home