Tuesday, January 16, 2007

from today's appointment

I met Dr. Decter this afternoon but not Dr. Coleman. There was a whole screw-up in the office about seeing Dr. Coleman. Dr. Decter told me that he'd speak to his colleague tomorrow and that if I call him by noon he should have an answer as to Dr. Coleman's recommendation.

Drs. Decter and Schuster are on the same page. An allogeneic mini-transplant preceded by a chemo regimen to get me in remission is the best hope of a cure he told us today. He put my chances at 40-50%.

Where school fits in all this remains a question. I really would like to complete the academic year in June, but that will depend on the treatment schedule. Dr. Decter thought it best if I begin the mini-transplant soon after the I finish the 3-4 cycles, because the longer I wait the more time there will be for the cancer to return. There are only about four months left between now and graduation. I need to bring up this issue to Schuster tomorrow morning. I'm scheduled to see him at 8:30.

The pathology report of my spleen was available and the diagnosis is Hodgkin's. Its subtype is nodular sclerosis, which is the exact same type as before. So, that hasn't changed.


Comment Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Duane - Just wanted to let you know that I am always thinking about you and always wishing good news to come your way. I read your blog often. Keep your head up. You know that you are very strong individual and as hard as this transplant may be you will do it and get through it because are strong!! I truly hope the outcome is in your no- OUR favor. You are truly inspiring to me and to many other Hodgkins patients. My heart is with you.


9:55 AM  
Comment Anonymous Tiffany said...

Hey Duane,

Your pal here writing to you from across the pond. I've known you for a long time and I have no doubt that you have the strength to battle through this next round. I am keeping up with your blog entries, so know that I'm thinking of you often. If you're ever up again at some crazy hour, chances are, I'm probably up too, so send me an email if you get bored!

Let us know what you decide about school....

Much love to you always,

8:48 PM  
Comment Anonymous Emily said...

Hi Duane.

Tim and I are here in whatever ways we can help and we love you. I'm sure Su told you that I signed up for and sent back my test kit for marrow.org. I'm sure Tim would do it if he weren't on asthma meds that keep him from eligibility to donate anything. I know the chances are slim that I'll be a match, but you never know.


7:30 AM  
Comment Anonymous Dimitri said...

Hey Duane --

I don't check your blog for a little bit and you've lost a spleen!!! How are you feeling? We're all behind you 110% -- keep plugging away and have a speedy recovery! God bless!

And don't be a stranger, I know you're busy, hehehe, but send me an email sometime ;-)


5:55 PM  
Comment Anonymous Anonymous said...

we're sorry to hear you relapsed...my sister rita finsished chemotherapy in august and she has itch and fever again...were hoping its not hodge....we pray for your remission.


4:10 PM  
Comment Blogger Duane said...

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your wonderful comments. Sorry I'm only responding now, but as you know I've been pretty busy recently flying between Eastern and Central Time and trying to get settled in school. Thanks so much for your continued words of love and encouragement. It's always wonderful to find new messages waiting from those who love me.


2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home