Sunday, February 05, 2006

day +3 blood counts and more

WBC: 0.1; Hgb: 8.9; platelets: 26

All my blood counts went down a bit from yesterday. As I mentioned earlier, this post-transplant period of the treatment is my most vulnerable time. Fevers, I was told by the infectionist disease doctor, is quite common for patients who just experienced a transplant, so it's not out the norm. Indeed, I had a fever of 101.1 this afternoon. Angie, my day nurse, said that the medical staff had been keeping track of my temperature (as they do daily) and according to the data, it was just a matter of time before I developed a fever. First, Angie and then, a member of the IV-team took seperate blood cultures from each arm for analysis. This is just a precautionary measure. It's very possible that my line may not be infected and the fever is a result simply of a more general infection or the rigors of the treatment, but for safety cultures were taken. Before I received antibiotics via IV, an X-ray of my chest was taken by a technician, who pulled a large white mobile X-ray machine into my room and to my bedside. The first antibiotic is called zosyn and the second one is named tobramycin. They infused over about 15 minutes and an hour respectively.

For the majority of the day, I remained in bed watching the Sunday morning political talk shows which was so well-needed. Lying in bed with no interruptions, except for those of the expected staff member who popped in to do this or that, was great. I was so tired and the headaches that I have been experiencing continued today. Angie gave me cxycodone, the same pill that I received for the headaches yesterday and it helped, however, it wasn't until my father and uncle visited me around 2 this afternoon that I felt ready to get up and sit in my favorite corner of the loveseat. They brought me some home-cooked food, for which I lacked the appetite to eat during their visit. I waited until this evening not too long before the start of the Super Bowl to eat the spaghetti from home. White rice, curry chicken, and some fish were included in the care package too. Fevers, I was told by my mom, can make one suffer from a poor appetite. Well, it seems to have been true today. I ate a little spaghetti and then, continued to drink a few bottles of Poland Spring water, which the hospital delivers to the BMT patients every day. Until this afternoon, I haven't made a sincere effort to drink water. To anyone who has received chemotherapy, they know what I'm getting at here: the taste is awful. The water tastes like something else - not water. I have drank lot of ginger ale, prune juice, and even milk which goes down smoothly but water - no way. Told by Angie that my urine is too concentrated, I have started to drink bottles of Poland Spring this afternoon.


Post a Comment

<< Home